Our favorite chili recipe for hosting big crowds (or having leftovers)!
See below for recipe card.
This Chili. I mean, THIS CHILI!!! It's no secret that bacon makes everything better, but BACON AND BEER - now we're talking out of this world! I made this last weekend for the Super Bowl and my mom makes some version of it for Bill's birthday.
This recipe has a lot of ingredients (but worth the effort), yields a lot (as in feeds a large crowd of 10-16), and, of course, is better the next day (like everything with a red sauce base).
1 pound bacon
1 pound Italian sausage
2 pounds ground beef
1 large can of petite diced tomatoes (28oz)
1 can of tomato paste (6 oz)
1 large white onion
3 celery stalks
2 different colored bell peppers (I had red and orange but usually use green and red)
1 carton of beef broth
1/2 - 3/4 beer ( or just pour the whole bottle in!)
1 tbsp Worchester sauce
dash of Tabasco
1 tbsp chili powder (or more)
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
*If you like chili beans, you can add two cans.
*If you want it spicier, adjust seasonings or add a chopped up jalapeño or hot pepper.
Be sure to start it in the morning because it does need all day to simmer... or make it the day before and heat back up on the stove before the gathering!
1. Fry 1 pound bacon until crispy.
2. Remove bacon then drain fat.
3. Brown 1 pound Italian sausage without casing and remove from pot.
4. Brown 2 pounds of ground beef and remove and drain fat.
5. While the meats are getting cooked, chop the onion, celery, and bell peppers.
6. Next, dump the meats, veggies, and EVERYTHING ELSE into the pot.
7. Simmer, covered, all day or for 8 hours.
8. Remove the lid for the last hour to let a bit of the liquid cook off.
9. Enjoy! Serve over macaroni noodles or however you best like your chili.
Now the real question is, oyster crackers or Fritos?
One bowl for each topping for me, ha!
*This recipe is adapted from Aunt Bee's but has been changed up a bit to our liking.
Enjoy, friends, and happy Feast of St. Valentine!